Change the fitness routine
Wondering why your workouts aren't working for you anymore? It could be because you are in need of change. More than we realize, we become comfortable with our fitness routines. The day-to-day hum -drum, go to gym, participate in a class or jump on the treadmill and carry a conversation at the same time. But that's not why your paying gym fees, is it? When you find yourself looking forward to meeting Jane at the gym so you can catch up on the latest 'kidventure' then you are not working hard enough, unless of course you meet after a long, hard workout.
The #1 reason people become discouraged with their physical fitness program is due to a lack of visible results. No longer losing weight, not seeing a change, not even breaking a sweat. The best way to avoid getting bored at the gym is to change it up a bit. Here are some ideas:
1. Group Exercise: Personally, I prefer group exercise. It is the best way to stay motivated and it forces you to be accountable because the instructor and other participants get to know you and look forward to seeing you in class. Just keep in mind that we're not in the thong and leg warmer era--yikes! Yeah, people still wear those. Keep it simple and comfortable please.
2. Try a new activity...you know where I'm going with this. That's right! Try Spinning :-) Start by going to an orientation before you join the class. You want to have the time to learn how to set up your bike, how to use the controls and also the lingo and format of the class. Spinning is an excellent cardiovascular class in which you can burn up to 600 calories in a one hour class. But you have to start slowly and work your way up. Don't expect to take off on your first try, do expect to be sore the next day.
3. Weight training/Body sculpting: Lifting weights will not give you pects like a man. Unless you have an excess amount of testosterone, it is physically impossible. What you will get is a revved up metabolism, stronger muscles, lean body. More lean muscles=less fat. I can get into that.
4. Pilates: Another favorite of mine. Pilates focuses on your power house, your core. The result, stronger abs and back, lean muscle mass, improved flexibility and improved posture.
5. Want to stay in the same class?: Grab heavier weights, extra risers for the step or if you do floor aerobics, you can finish your workout with a muscle conditioning routine either in the free-weight room or with machines.
There are many reasons why people exercise and many more why they should. I exercise because I want to live a healthier, happier life, I want to be a good role model for my kids, I want to feel good about myself. Most important, I don't want high blood pressure and diabetes in my life, it's already in my family.
Why do you exercise? I want to know.
Today is the day to change it up a bit. Have an excellent workout, at the gym! Don't forget your water ;-)